Monday, June 1, 2009

A Sad Day

Today we will be attending my Great Uncle Jimmy's funeral. Funerals are never a fun occasion, and even more so when you have a 15 month old running around like a wild banshee! This is my Dad's uncle. He was diagnosed with liver cancer just a little over a month ago, and declined steadily after that. It really is a blessing that it happened so fast. Cancer is just mean, and when you see what it does to people by way of extreme pain, confusion, etc.., it is good when the suffering is cut short. My poor Daddy will not know what to do with himself now. He has been the primary caretaker of family members ever since his cousin passed away in 2001. First it was Bobby, then his Aunt Jean, then Mimi and Gran (his parents), and finally Uncle Jimmy. It is not only the health end of things, but helping to get affairs in order, and being the executor of their wills after they pass. That is no small task, let me assure you! My Dad is a stickler, he has to make sure everything is done just right! And it was no different with the final wishes of his loved ones. Mind you, I don't think I have ever heard Dad complain about these jobs he has been given, he just keeps going and doing, and working full time on top of it! He has aged alot in the past few years, I think it will be good for him to only have himself and my Mom to worry about for a while.
On the bright side, my Aunt Dianne is flying in from Texas today, and will get to meet our Little Man for the first time! The last time she was in I was preggers. It will be fun to introduce the Wall to his Great Aunt, he will love her! Other than Uncle Jimmy, I think this is the first extended family he will meet from my side, that is kinda sad!
Well, I have alot to do today to get ready for tonight and tomorrow's burial. Sorry for the sad blog. Thanks for stopping by!

0 comments: